Thursday 20 September 2012

FW: Day 18 Perranporth to Portreath 12.5 miles



From: Verity Stokes
Sent: 20/09/2012 20:09
To: Blog
Subject: Day 18 Perranporth to Portreath 12.5 miles

Melzie waved me off this morning back in Perranporth & I climbed the hill out of town.

Immediately you can see the landscape has changed. The cliffs are covered in yellow gorse & purple heather and there are old mining buildings and rocky paths everywhere. I really loved the walking, its nice to have different stuff to look at!

I walked around to St Agnes which I've been to loads of times, it was great to approach places I've only been to by car previously along the coast path.

After Aggie I went around again to Chapel Porth another great beach we've been surfing on. After a quick rest around again to Porthtowan. It was on this stretch that I saw.... Not one but two basking sharks!!! Amazing!!! I was so chuffed. I saw them separately, about a mile apart. I thought it might be a dolphin first, but then a passing couple lent me their binoculars & I could see it was a shark & could see its wide mouth. I think they were both juveniles as they weren't massive, but its quite hard to tell the size from the cliff top.

Down in Porthtowan, as I'd made good time, i chilled out in the Blue Bar (a favourite place of mine) for about an hour.

After this I had a great walk, with a few ascents & descents but nothing too strenuous. I listened to Ben Howard on my iPod in tribute to Harry, and got to Portreath in plenty of time & checked into the pub where I'd booked a room, as there are no campsites near here.

A really great day! Oh also I forgot to say yesterday melzie & I saw a pair of choughs! Cough up Auntu George! Xc
Sent from my Windows Phone

[The entire original message is not included.]

No comments:

Post a Comment