Saturday 29 September 2012

Day 27 Porthallow to Falmouth 18 miles

As luck would have it, it was a beautiful beautiful day for my journey towards Falmouth.

I set off from Porthallow around the headland past Nare Point to Gillan. Here there was either the option to get the ferry or at low tide you can use some stepping stones to get across to St Anthony. I had been asking around about the stepping stones and some people (inc the guidebook) say its possible but other local people said it was really dangerous and it was more than likely you would fall in. Luckily I just about made it so the ferry got me from a different beach and left me on the other side to walk long the beach.

From this point on I had already done the whole walk previously so it was great & very relaxing to walk the path through the woods past little beaches along the Helford River to Helford itself. Unfortunately I just missed the ferry over to Helford Passage which didn't run in the couple of hours around low tide. I now had a wait in Helford for 2 hours which I spent with an early lunch in the pub in the sun chatting to other people waiting for the ferry.

Over the other side I walked along one of my favourite walks ever past Durgan. Oh a bit of excitement there was an unexploded bomb found in the river which was towed out and exploded under control so they were bomb disposal vans in Durgan. The evegreen trees along this part give it a different feel and it was also great to watch the boats sail past. Around to Nansidwell and Maenporth then a very familiar section to Swanpool and eventually Gyllyngvase beach where I met Harry and we went to a lovely b&b where im going to be having a break tomorrow!!

V x

Sent from my Windows Phone

2 comments:

  1. Yey! Rest day today! You look very clean and cosy in the last pic ;P Did they set off the bomb when u were there V??
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi V,

    Well done you're half way....whoopee! Georgina

    ReplyDelete