Saturday 8 September 2012

Day 6 Braunton to Westward Ho!

Today was a weird one, 23 miles in total, about 19 of which were on completely flat tarmac paths along the estuaries.

Harry dropped me back in Braunton & I set off in the morning mist along what can  only be described as the "murder mile" out of town. Haha sorry, it was actually quite nice once the sun came out. I was walking totally alone for the first time, without Rudy & it did make me feel a bit more vulnerable but at the same time I had more freedom without having to look out for her. Its a really good job Harry was here to take Rudy ( having a rest day) as 20 odd miles on tarmac would have ruined her little paws I think. That brings me on to the other thing I felt was missing today, namely, a bicycle. EVERYONE was cycling! And to be honest it probably was the most sensible mode of transport. I nearly got barged off the road a few times by some over-enthusiastic Lycra wearers. Damn them & their wheels.

So I trundled along past Barnstaple until Instow where I don't mind saying I was sorely tempted to get the ferry to Appledore to save myself 6 miles to Bideford & back, but it wasn't so much an "alternative route" as a "shortcut" so off I set to the town and back along to Appledore& eventually around a spit of land to end up on the beach at Westward Ho!

Feels good to have done such a long distance as I wasn't sure I could manage it, but I was o.k. Apart from very achey feet.

Now lying in our new massive tent for use when Harry is visiting, after a pub dinner (which I couldn't finish- there is something seriously wrong with me) REST DAY tomorrow! Amazing!



Sent from my Windows Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment