Friday 28 September 2012

Day 26 The Lizard to Porthallow 15 miles

A tough day today!

Lyd dropped me back at Lizard Point at about 9.15, it had been raining all night and in the morning, but it had just eased off, and it turns out I didn't see another drop all day.

Around the path it was gorgeous, but I was definitely aware I had the big pack back! Past the wireless station and lifeboat house to Cadgwith. The paths were really muddy after the rain and it took a lot of extra time & energy to walk on them as I was slipping and sliding all over the shop.

Down to Kennack Sands where we've been a couple of times ( always nice to go past places that are familiar) which was a good place to stop for an early lunch overlooking the sea.

Again on a dealt tough rocky path around to Black Head (bad name) where the path became a little easier. Just before Coverack there was the option of "easy, sloping path" or "challenging rocky path"... And I was now a hardcore hiker I chose the latter. This was mistake ...i was climbing over massive rocks in a jungle of vegetation including numerous stinging nettles. Luckily I emerged relatively unscathed.... Only to twist my ankle on a normal path in Coverack. It bloody hurt and there were some unlucky people who chose to chat to me at that time when I wasn't feeling too great! Sorry.

I stopped for a drink and to pick up some lovely heavy cans of dog food as luckily someone told me there wasnt a shop in Porthallow.

Around Lowland Point i dodged some boggy bits and cows to pass a big quarry then onto Godrevy beach. Herr we had to veer inland where I promptly got lost in a field. Through a couple of little villages and fields and finally to Porthallow, which marks the official HALF WAY POINT!!! 315 miles done.

In some ways i feel like 'wow I've done half! That's amazing.. In others i feel like
..' i have all that to do again!!' 

Feel good either way though. Rudy is absolutely pooped today so i am contemplating a rest week for her next week so we'll see how she goes.

Currently lying in my free bed for the night as the generous owners here offered me a free night, as they have a relative affected by MND.

Looking forward to tomorrow as I'm going to Falmouth!!!! Our home for 2 years, i am really looking forward to being there and seeing Harry and having a rest day on Sunday!

Vx




Sent from my Windows Phone

1 comment:

  1. I'm gutted to not be down there with u any more V but I had such a great time! What a bummer that I had to hand u back to the savage cliffs with a massive rucksack, craggy paths and rain, sorry bout that cuz! Love you xxxx

    ReplyDelete