Tuesday 4 September 2012

Day 2 Porlock to Lynmouth

Phew... It's been a really tough day today. It was about 14 miles so the average distance but the constant Ups and downs through the woods were really hard work.

After a patchy nights sleep (hoping ill get used to sleeping in a tent soon), we left about 9.30 over the marshes & beach to Porlock Weir. Then climbed up past some pretty stone arches, and Culbone church, where it was rumoured there were refreshments, but no such luck. The church was tiny, really cute. I'm not really into churches but when you're walking they seem to pull you in.

Long paths up & down through the woods were really pretty but very tiring. Sometimes easy to forget we were on the Coastpath but then the trees would clear & we'd have an awesome view of the sea.

On the way to Countisbury when the moor mist set in and we couldn't see a thing... It was quite spooky! Said goodbye to Melze & Harry at Countisbury pub which was pretty weird as I'm on my own for the first time. Will take a bit of getting used to I think... Especially at the campsites where you're all on your tod.

I happily trotted down the hill to Lynmouth, spotting Nowhere Island moored up. Then I realised my campsite was another mile up hill, on a road with no pavements. Not ideal- when I finally arrived I was a sweaty mess!

The old body has held up well today, my leg which I was worried about, was fine, only a few twinges. My shoulders are really sore from the weight of the bag, I'm anticipating a physique akin to Bane from Batman in the next few weeks, especially in the neck area!

Looking forward to walking tomo & meeting up with people in Woolacombe the day after, but one day at a time.

No reception in the campsite tonight!

V x
Sent from my Windows Phone

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic start to your journey V - big kiss for you and Rudi tonight x

    ReplyDelete
  2. V! I'm in Woolacombe on Friday! Will you have left by then? X Char

    ReplyDelete