Friday 21 September 2012

Day 20 Portreath to St. Ives 18 miles

I set off this morning after a fry up at the pub, which as usual made the first couple of hills harder than they should be! The path from Portreath to Godrevy past Hells Mouth was great, a few ascents, but nothing bad. And lots of seals near Godrevy lighthouse which was awesome.

I felt like I was in danger of a cold, so I had a peppermint tea & brownie in the National Trust cafe to try and stave it off.

Then after a wobbly way through the dunes I went down the steps to the beach at Gwithian where we had been loads of times this summer and walked all the way along to Hayle. This starts out fun, but after about a mile of beach I did start to wonder if it was such a great idea as my legs were knackered from sinking into the sand.

After a tantalising glimpse of the other side of the river Hayle I then had a lengthy detour through the town & a building site, and around on the road to Lelant which was very hot, as the sun decided to come out at this point.

After the church at Lelant there was a nice path through the dunes with lovely views back over the beaches. Past porth kidney and porthminster and Carbis Bay and finally into St. Ives, which true to reputation was really really busy! I chilled at the harbour for a bit before making my way through the little streets and up to the top of town where Jo & David,my couchsurfing hosts live. They made me feel really welcome and after a great evening with a delicious curry & lovely company, I am now on a bed with Rudy, in the shed (its a maaaasive shed!)

Pooped so I'll say goodnight

V x






Sent from my Windows Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment