Sunday 21 October 2012

Day 49 Abbotsbury to Ferrybridge 11.25 miles

After a lovely night at Cowards Lake Farmhouse in Abbotsbury, where the owners Kevin & Irene very kindly let me stay free of charge, I set off down the hill to re-join the coast path.

Actually the path was nowhere near the coast for the first hour or so, I felt like I was on a walk at home with Rudy, through the fields.

It was really chilly this morning, it really felt like Autumn, but I determined to keep wearing my shorts until the end now!

There were some seriously boggy bits, one area all around the gate was deep mud, and I had to shimmy through some brambles, over a barbed wire fence and through a tree over a small stream, just to get to the otherside.

Eventually we met the lake behind Chesil Beach near the village of Langton Herring. From here the path followed the wobbly line of the lake, or Fleet, as its known.

It was quite a busy section of path, despite the mud, and I passed a couple of campsites, a rifle range, and a horse racing track, as well as lots of people going for a Sunday walk.

I had a bad hour though, firstly it dawned on me that on Tuesday when I am due to walk, with mum, from Lulworth to Swanage, we will not be able to walk through the Lulworth Ranges. I did know there was a range here, but I had sort of presumed that we would be able to get through or just detour around easily. This is not the case with this massive range. As well as a 13 miles detour, it is a really lovely section of path to miss. So I am a bit gutted, as it is down to my bad planning really, but it wasn't something I thought about 7 weeks ago when i started. Mum & I will set of on Tuesday morning from the east side of Kimmeridge Bay where the ranges finish and walk on to Swanage.

What makes it extra annoying is that I had already decided not to circuit the Island of Portland tomorrow, instead pressing on to Lulworth. This is down to my bad feet, as well as money & time constraints. I aim to come back and do the circuit within the next couple of weeks , when my feet are less troublesome.

So it feels as if my last dew days are a bit messy, but I just have to remember how much I have done already and not focus on the patchy last few days!

Oh back to my bad hour.... Whilst on thr phone to Mum discussing the walk, I fell on my arse in the wet mud!!! Shoes, socks and left side of shorts covered! They are currently attempting to dry on a rubbish radiator which needs bleeding. Yes I know about bleeding!

Anyhoo after the trip, which i should be grateful no one witnessed we soon reached Ferrybridge. I pushed on another couple of miles along a cycle path and then into Weymouth itself, where i got a bit lost but eventually found my way and the Esplanade and seafront where my digs are.

Vx



Sent from my Windows Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment