Friday 19 October 2012

Day 47 Seaton to Seatown 13 miles

When I woke up this morning Iooked straight out of the window across the pebbles to the sea a few metres away- amazing!

I was dropped off by Grandpa & Lucy in Seaton this morning and from the seafront I crossed over the bridge behind the boat club. From here I took a narrow lane up to a golf course and walked through this to the proper coast path.

From here there were a couple of signs warning about the Undercliff to Lyme Regis being quite tough, with no way out to the beach or inland, for over 5 miles. And it should not be attempted in bad weather!

Luckily it was good weather so we set off. The Undercliff is a wide section of cliff that collapsed in 1839 and now is a sunken area full of trees and very jungle-like. It was really cool, and something really funny happened. Rudy was ahead of me on the path & I could see she was looking at something and thinking about chasing it, I presumed it was a pheasant or squirrel. But when I got closer I saw it was a massive badger facing Rudy. It turned around and trotted off at which point Rudy gave chase (despite my shouts) but the badger calmly turned round and stood its ground, which disconcerted Rudy a bit and I managed to call her back. I looked up just in time to see a huge hairy grey arse trotting off nonchalantly.

We finally arrived in Lyme Regis where I had my packed lunch on the esplanade. From here there was officially a big detour inland due to cliff falls but as the tide was on its way out I managed to walk along the beach to Charmouth, looking out for fossils naturally. The beach was looking a bit ropey as they have had lots of mud slides so there were great blobs of grey mug everywhere and actually the walk was quite hard work. Better than roads though. In Charmouth again a detour due to landslides meant a journey inland and up a looooong minor road to Stonebarrow at the top. From here I linked back up with the coast path and walked along the cliff to the bottom of Golden Cap, a huge hill. Here I met a nice couple (who donated £5) and made my way, slowly as it was the end of the day, up to the top. A final walk down to Seatown finished the day.

Tabby has joined me tonight for a days walking tomorrow and we've just had a great meal in the pub (thanks Mum!).

Vx


Sent from my Windows Phone

1 comment:

  1. That huge hairy grey arse, did it bring back following me up smuggler's path? Can't get over your pace, iron woman! Loads of love xxx

    ReplyDelete