Saturday 13 October 2012

Day 41 Stoke Fleming to Brixham 15 miles

I always hope that the guide book might be wrong (sorry Paddy!) when it says, "a difficult stretch"... but no... it was in fact a tough day!

Harry dropped me back in SF and I walked alone the couple of miles along a single lane track and then around the headland into Dartmouth, past the castle. It was a beautiful morning (minus a few showers) and the views were incredible.

I then met Harry in Dartmouth, which looked really nice, but we didn't have the time to explore unfortunately, and we drove the car over the tiny ferry to Kingswear and parked up to begin the walk properly.

Under the archway by the post office, up stone steps and out of the town on a minor road until it turned into a track strewn with pine needles from the conifers. I really like being in the woods, as it's such a change of scenery from the sea. We made our way down ravine and up hill to the battery at Froward Point where we went down to an old concrete outpost over looking the sea and imagined shooting the guns from there in the war.

From here it was uphill away from the headland and around many beautiful inlets and smaller headlands. It was stunning coastland and the sea was a lovely azure blue. Well I think it was azure, I'm not actually sure what kind of blue "azure" is, but i just really like the word... azure.

Anyhoo we stopped for lunch with a fabulous view over the cliffs, and carried on round past Pudcombe, Mansands and Scabbacombe. It was quite a tiring day what with all the slipping and sliding and some huge uphills out of the beaches so I cheered us along with some renditions of David Guetta & Usher "Without you" and a reggae tune I made up... "Scabbacombe scabbacombe" it's just a good reggae word.

We finally made it to Sharkham Point which hid Brixham behind it, past St Mary's Bay and onto Berry Head and into Brixham itself. Pretty blooming done in at the end, not because of the walk but I seem to have picked up a new ailment from the miles yesterday, a bad pain underneath my right heel, which I've been told my mum is called "policemans heel" and I've had before on D of E. It makes walking horrifically painful by the end of the day so that's good.... I moaned a lot to Harry today..... sorry Haz! I'm really really hoping it will go away overnight as a lot of things tend to, as I can hardly walk right now, so a bit concerned about the 19 + miles tomorrow!

Wish me Luck!!!

Vx

(photos separately as I'm using Harry's laptop to write)


1 comment: