Wednesday 10 October 2012

Day 38 (Bigbury) to Salcombe 13miles

The kind b&b man dropped me back on the right side of the river at Bantham this miserable morning. The only people about were the surfers.

I was having severe doubts whether I should be waking as I set off, as it was raining quite a bit harder than I thought & very foggy. But it wasn't cold so I pushed on.

I made good time as I passes Thurlestone golf course & beach and South Milton Sands. I'm sure it was very pretty but in the rain I wasn't sticking around long enough to find out. I got to Hope Cove which was very cute, and picked up a mars bar (standard).

After this point the going got harder but also very pretty as we climbed through trees and out onto Bolt Tail. From here, from what i could see, the scenery was amazing as i went past Soar Mill Cove where i stopped to let Rude play. Cat Hill (i think that's its name) was just before this and was amazing, a hill between the sea and dropping down to the left as well into a undulating moorland. We had to climb up from the beach past a high rocky outcrop. From here it ws relatively flat until Bolt Head, a prominent and stunning headland. Luckily by this point the rain had eased off so I got to enjoy the view a lot more.

From the top of the hill down around into the trees before meeting the road that led into Salcombe, which as usual hurt my leg, after 11miles of it being fine on the paths.

In my b&b in Salcombe, which is great and has a lounge to hang out in, & no other guests so a good place to chill out tomorrow as well. We used to come on holiday to East Portlemouth (just over the estuary) so I've been to Salcombe lots of times, but so long ago that I didn't remember a lot of it.

Will be having copious amounts of Salcombe Dairy ice cream tomorrow regardless of the weather.

Vx

Sent from my Windows Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment