Friday 12 October 2012

Day 40 Salcombe to Stoke Fleming 19.25 miles

I was really glad to sew it was a clear morning today meaning I could see the beautiful estuary. I walked down to the ferry point and got the 9am boat across to East Portlemouth.

The next couple of miles around to the Gara Rock hotel I used to walk with my family when we were down on holiday. And the hotel was the scene of my brother Luke's infamous jump through the pillars which turned out to have very clean glass between them.

Beyond here the scenery was just as stunning, with lovely sunshine between the rain showers. The going was pretty easy and low-lying which is nice as you get to be close to the sea and the uphilla aren't too big!

After Prawle Point the path went through several very low fields which, after the rain, proved to be very boggy. The fields were between the sea and the cliff, which were set back from the edge which was unusual. I reached Lannacombe Bay where there was a lone surfer. From here it was a gentle gradient to Start Point which creates the big curve of Hallsands, Beesands and Torcross. I made my way down the hill and past the villages in turn, stopping for lunch in Beesands. I did actually recognise this but, as I've been on a school geography trip here before. Slapton Ley is a lake and nature reserve separated from a spit of sand by the straight road. The path along this section was very long and flat and straight and eventually I ended up at the other end and started to climb up the hill towards the village of Strete. From here the path to Stoke Fleming is recently negotiated and very convoluted. Some on roads, then through fields and then down around the back of Blackpool Sands and finally up the hill to SF.

Of I forgot to put in, on the path through Slapton I found a mouse on the path that was so sleepy I could stroke it! Then it went a little bit into the grass and curled up to sleep... I wasn't sure whether move it to a safer place, but I didn't in the end so hopefully it will be alright. It wasn't a very busy path.

Met Harry in SF and made out way to thr pub we are staying in which is really nice. Shame we can't make more use of the bar downstairs on a Friday, but a long day tomorrow and I am shattered. My feet really hurt now after the miles today!!

Vx

Sent from my Windows Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment