Thursday 11 October 2012

Day 39 Rest Day in Salcombe

Woke up this morning to hear the rain banging on the flat roof next to my room & happily remembered I wasn't walking today. I spent the morning chilling out reading a classic Jilly Cooper book I found on the shelf.

When the rain cleared after lunch I walked down into town to get the passenger ferry over to East Portlemouth to find an old friend, Tristan, who owns a boatyard just down the estuary.

Tristan's dad Jim & my dad were great friends, & before that our mums had been at the same school in Somerset. It was great to catch up & hear he was doing well & he dropped me back in Salcombe after a quick whizz around the estuary.

I then had an amazing honeycombe & Salcombe mud ice cream before heading back up the hill.

Just chilling now, early start tomorrow for quite a long day, but all good as Harry us joining me for the weekend again. 

People might be wondering what's happened to the camping. Well, since the slight downturn in the weather it became a bit impractical. Once Rudy gets wet its pretty hard to dry her fur off and she gets cold. Also, the big rucksack with my tent etc was getting to be a bit of a pain being so heavy. With the muddy & uneven paths it was becoming a struggle! There was one day where I was feeling the strain in my shoulders and legs already, and I looked at my watch and it was only 10.30am and I was already wishing the day was over. This really wasn't how I wanted the rest of the walk to be, so I made the decision to switch to a smaller bag & stay in b&bs. It's going to cost me a fair bit, but to me it's worth it, as I will enjoy the last two weeks much more. Just don't expect any Christmas presents!!

Vx

www.justgiving.com/Verity-Stokes1



Sent from my Windows Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment