Thursday 18 October 2012

Day 46 Sidmouth to Seaton approx 11 miles

I was dropped off my Bev this morning back in Sidmouth. The sea was crazy! The waves were crashing over the sea wall and onto the pavement so I asked Bev to drop me down past that bit, wouldn't have been great to get soaked before I  started the day!

The hill I had yo climb loomed above me from the town but actually ascending it wasn't too bad as it wasn't steep, but rather minor back roads then a sloping field and then steps up through a wood to emerge on top. A flat top of the hill through sheep fields followed before a descent down a steep field into Salcombe Mouth. From here we climbed up a big hill again to emerge on top and this bit I really enjoyed. The old cliff subsidence had turned into a tussocky pretty area contouring around the hill. Eventually it dropped down to Weston Mouth from which we had a steep climb uphill. Along the top for a while before descending through a muddy wood before reaching Branscombe. Here I was meeting my Aunty & Uncle, Dee & Daniel, but also turned out my Grandpa & Lucy which was lovely surprise.

We caught up over cups of tea in their chalet & had lunch in the Sea Shanty cafe. Luckily during this time we managed to miss the rain showers and by the time I set off (with Dee & Daniel) along the beach it was alright. We walked along and they showed me the old Smugglers path which zigzagged to the top. I said goodbye here as they went back over the top of the hill & I walked on (through gale force winds around the headland) to Beer.

A steep cling up steps out of Beer turned into an easy walk to Seaton. Until I reached a section of road & path closed due to cliff falls. Here there was the option of a longer road detour or the beach at low tide (I didn't know the tide times). I decided to risk it and after consulting a local walked along the beach until the waves were too high then clambered onto the massive rocks put there to protect the cliff. Not an advisable route I'm sure, and slightly more difficult than expected but we made it. We walked along the entire length of the esplanade to the yacht club at the far end. Here I sat and watched the sea as I waited for Grandpa & Lucy to pick me up & take me back to Branscombe. We've just come back from a great meal in the pub. A great day and brilliant to see so many of my family who I don't see too often! Thanks for a wonderful day!

Vx
 


Sent from my Windows Phone

1 comment:

  1. How lovely! Everyone is so proud of u for doing this Vee. Not long left, I'm sure you're going to miss it almost as much as we are going to miss reading all about it! See you on Tuesday :D Love you xxx

    ReplyDelete